The Reserve Deputy Sheriff Program is a volunteer organization of individuals who provide the Department with additional law enforcement resources to better serve the citizens of Jefferson County. A Reserve Deputy Sheriff has peace officer powers while on duty, in accordance with the laws of the State of Tennessee.
The Reserve Program provides the opportunity for personal growth and education. Reserve Deputy Sheriff assignments may include field operations, correctional operations, various special programs, events and other assignments at the direction of the Sheriff. Reserve duty time is served on a flexible schedule to meet individual needs.
Minimum Requirements for Reserve Deputy Sheriff
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possess GED at the time of application
- Minimum age of 21
- Must be of high moral character and pass a background check
- Discharged under honorable conditions form the Armed Forces, if applicable
- Must possess a valid Tennessee driver's license
- Must be a United States citizen
- Will be screened for misdemeanor/felony record. (Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to, or entered a plea of no contest to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, liquor or controlled substances.)
To be considered for the position of reserve deputy sheriff, candidates must pass the following selection process:
- Oral interview
- Background Investigation
- FBI/DOJ Fingerprint Clearance
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Prior Law Enforcement experience preferred, but not required.